Sunday, February 16, 2014

A Wise Woman Once Told Me...

Once upon a time, there was a little girl who never liked to clean her room. Her grandmother told her, "A stitch in time saves nine," to convince the little girl that it was a good idea to clean her room a little bit at a time so it always stayed clean. The grandmother reminded her that her mom told her the same thing many years earlier. The little girl never listened and continued to have a messy room and spend entire weekends cleaning instead of having fun.

As the little girl grew up, she never followed what her grandmother taught her and procrastination ruined her plans and deadlines crept up like wildfire behind her. She was stressed and tired, and now her grandmother was no longer around to remind her to do things a little bit at a time to save herself the stress.

One day the young woman rested in her bed and thought back to all those times her grandmother told her "A stitch in time saves nine," and decided to try a little harder to follow that rule. Once she did, she managed her school work, internships, work and life a little better. Her mood changed and she had a smile on her face a little more every day. Now every day she remembers her grandmother and works to preserve a little bit of her spirit by following the little things she was taught.

"A stitch in time saves nine."
"A little birdie told me..."
"Patience is a virtue."
"Cleanliness is the closest thing to godliness."
"If you get frustrated, put a pin in it."

These little sayings keep the young woman from losing her mind with stress.

Yes, that little girl was me. I was once so stressed that I lashed out at others around me. I had headaches all the time and my hair was falling out. Once I remembered all the wise words my amazing grammy told me when I was little, I completely changed my life. Who would've known wisdom from over 50 years ago would help so much today? All those kooky sayings have saved my mind and well-being, and I'm sure my friends are happy that I'm less cranky too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment